/script> expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, May 19, 2014

Fishers of fish

Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

I don't know why, but I really just wanted to go fishing with my dad before I left. We've only done this a few times before, but I took a fishing class (a long long long time ago) and this morning found ourselves driving up to East Canyon Reservoir. When asked when we'd be back, I told my mom, "Whenever we catch a fish."  So, there we were sitting on the banks at about 10.  At first we were really enthusiastic about our task.. catching a fish. Then it got cold and I was semi-bored, then we saw some boaters catch one and my enthusiasm picked up again. By noon, we decided to go buy some worms and different bait then we were using, we were sure that was our problem. 

We picked a new spot and ate our lunch. I paced up and down the shore, sure (punny) we'd get one now with our new tactics. I walked over to a rocky spot a little farther down the from my dad. Fish would jump out of the water, taunting me! No luck. My dad did, however, catch a few 4-footer *sticks.* I sat and stared at the beautiful water, at the mountains around us. It was beautiful. I even made friends with a few geese and a seagull. 
Two hours later, we decided to pack up and head home. We passed through flocks of sheep crossing the road, bleating at us! We were sun-burnt, hot, but I still felt accomplished because we had worked hard at trying to get one.

Missionary work is like fishing. Some days, you come home with seemingly "nothing." I still had a great time talking with my dad, we even listened to my cousin Michelle's homecoming on his phone. 


My mission scripture is: D&C 18:15-16

And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!   And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
No matter what happens in the mission field, in life, in the world around us, if we follow Him, He will help us be fishers of men- whether that means helping others, or converting and bettering ourselves, He will help us.
Missionary work is just that: WORK. It's not going to be easy, but it's going to be #worthit.. I spoke yesterday in my farewell about maintaining an eternal perspective (article by Dale Renlund) and that's what I'm going to do. 
LOVE YOU ALL. 
HAPPY 17TH AMY JANA. Thanks for letting me share the day with you saying farewell.
yes I'm in Hunter rain boots

No comments:

Post a Comment